The diverse culture and traditions of Arunachal Pradesh make it one of the most beautiful states in India. Several tribes reside in the state, which makes the festivals of Arunachal Pradesh richer and more diverse. Arunachal is one of the well-known places where people visit for cultural holidays. If you want to witness the festivals in Arunachal Pradesh, you have to visit the state during the time of the festivals and if you are lucky enough to see it, you will be amazed by its beauty.
How to reach Arunachal Pradesh:
Nearest Airport: Lilabari Airport, Tezpur Airport, and Guwahati Airport.
Nearest Railway Station: Harmuti train station in Assam, Arunachal does not have a railway station.
Best Time to visit Arunachal Pradesh: April and October
Here’s a list of 10 famous Arunachal Pradesh Festivals that you should know more about:
1. Losar Festival
- The Losar festival in Arunachal Pradesh is celebrated by the Monpa tribe to welcome a new year. The Monpa tribe comes from the West Kemang and Tamang districts of the state.
- In North-East India, Tawang is a top-rated tourist destination. The festival lasts for about 15 days and is usually celebrated in the month of February or early March.
- During this festival of Arunachal Pradesh, people clean their houses, hoist their religious flags, offer prayers and read holy scriptures.
- Lamps are lit with butter and the people of Arunachal Pradesh worship their local deity for the welfare of society. You can also get a taste of their local cuisine and local drinks during the festival.
2. Ziro Festival of Music
- It is the most happening and the biggest outdoor music festival in Arunachal Pradesh. It is like the state’s own Sunburn Festival.
- Music lovers from all over India and North East India gather in Arunachal Pradesh for the Ziro Festival.
- Many international and domestic music artists perform in this four-day-long festival.
- If you want to know about different cultures and get a taste of the music of Arunachal Pradesh, this is the best time to do that.
3. Solung Festival
- It is an agricultural festival celebrated during the monsoon by the Arunachal Pradesh people.
- It is a 10-day long festival celebrated by the Adi community. It is celebrated in the Lower Dibang Valley district, East Siang district, Upper Siang district, and Upper Dibang Valley district of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The celebration consists of the preparation of the local beer, Apong, Indian bison, and pigs slaughtered on the first day. On the second day, a feast is arranged for the relatives, neighbors, children, and women.
- On the fourth day, a fowl is sacrificed by a family member, on the seventh day the men make bows and arrows and fasten them on the doors of each house in the village.
- On the tenth day of this festival of Arunachal, villagers uproot weak plants from the paddy field and also remove insects. They do this with the hope that the Goddess will remove insects and worms from their fields.
4. Pangsau Pass Winter Festival
- This famous festival of Arunachal Pradesh started in 2007 in the winter season and became very popular in the state.
- Pangsua Pass Winter Festival (PPWF) is a three-day fest, celebrated in Nampong, in the month of January each year.
- The people wear tribal dresses perform folk dances (traditional dance of Arunachal Pradesh) and sing folk songs as a tradition of Arunachal Pradesh. There is also an exhibition of handicraft and handloom articles.
5. Nyokum Festival
- It is the festival of the Nyishi tribe of Arunachal, it is celebrated every year on 28th February every year in the East Kemang district, Kurung Kummey district, Lower Subansiri district, and Papumpar district.
- Nyok means Land and Kum means People. It is a 2-day festival that involves dancing, singing, and gathering of local people.
- Rituals and prayers are performed by the priest for the harmony and prosperity of the people as part of the culture of Arunachal Pradesh. The locals also perform a form of Arunachal Pradesh traditional dance.
Recommended Read: Best Tourist Places Of Arunachal Pradesh To Visit For A Rejuvenating Experience
6. Dree Festival
- Dree Festival is celebrated by the Apatani tribe of the Lower Subansiri district.
- In this festival, the tribal people pray to the deities of Tamu, Danyi, Metii, and Harniang by sacrificing fowls and animals.
- Prayers are offered to God to protect the plants and crops from insects and pests.
7.Siang River Festival (Yomgo River Festival)
- It is celebrated annually to bring communal harmony, it is celebrated in Yingkiong, Tuting, and Pasighat.
- During this festival, you will get to witness Adventure activities like river rafting, food festivals, traditional boat race, paragliding, etc.
- Several districts also organize handloom and handicraft exhibitions.
8. Sanken (Sangken)
- This festival is celebrated for 3 days mainly by the Khampi tribe of the Lohit district on 14th February.
- People bathe the Idol of Lord Buddha, which marks the beginning of the New year. Prayers are offered by beating drums and gongs. They also sprinkle water on each other after bathing the Buddha to exchange greetings.
- Drinking, killing animals, gambling, and cutting trees are prohibited during this time.
- On the final day, the Idol is taken back to the temple followed by a community feast.
9. Boori Boot
- This festival is celebrated by the Hill Miris community in February for 3 days. It celebrates the successful harvest in the state.
- It is a get-together where people offer prayers to the spirit of Boori Boot, to keep them disease-free and prosperous.
- Nibu, the high priest performs the rituals and sacrifices, and the festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm.
10. Bascon Festival
- It is celebrated by the Galo tribe in the month of November. The culture and heritage of the Galo tribe are celebrated for three days.
- Several ceremonies and vibrant dances are a part of this festival where all the members participate actively. It involves a cultural dance of Arunachal Pradesh.
You should visit the state to witness the beautiful dance forms of Arunachal Pradesh, the culture of Arunachal Pradesh, festivals in Arunachal Pradesh, and the music of Arunachal Pradesh. You will be mesmerized by the rich culture and beauty of the place.
Also Read: List Of Lip-Smacking And Famous Food Of Arunachal Pradesh That You Must Try