What makes Wayanad a must-visit destination in Kerala – Wayanad Tourism
The beautiful Wayanad is nestled amidst the lush green mountains of the Western Ghats that border Kerala. There are numerous reasons to choose the must visit tourist destination in God’s own country. You will find green plantations, exotic wildlife, deep valleys, and rugged terrains. This place is suitable for every traveler, if you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway to picturesque landscapes in the lap of nature or you are an adventure seeker looking for trekking trails, wildlife safaris, and water sports, this place has everything to meet your needs.
Things to Do in Wayanad (Nature Paradise of Kerala)
- Wayanad is blessed with Nilgiri hills on the eastern border and hill stations like Coorg on the western border. You will find lush tea estates, wildlife sanctuaries, and dense forests which makes it a perfect place for nature tourism.
- If you are seeking a peaceful place away from the hustle and bustle, Wayanad is the best place for you. This gem of a place is not connected through railways and it is less commercialized than the other cities in Kerala.
- This place has Kerala’s own pine forests, Wayanad is the best place for you to witness the greenery of nature. Chandanathode at Mananthavady is one of Wayanad best places.
- Wayanad is often called Ooty of Kerala for its evergreen landscapes and pleasant weather.
- If you love waterfalls and dams, you should definitely check out the list of tourist places in Wayanad.
Best Time To Visit Wayanad – October to May
Here is a list of the 10 best places to visit in Wayanad, the green paradise of Kerala.
- Chembra Peak
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pookode Lake
- Meenmutty Waterfalls
- Ghat View Point
- Kuruva Island
- Edakkal Cave
- Bathery Jain Temple
- Wayanad Heritage Museum
1. Chembra Peak
- A trekking paradise and a must visit for adventure seekers, you will be thrilled to visit the Chembra Peak in Wayanad during the holidays.
- The place has some of the best places to visit at Wayanad from small waterfalls, rare flora and fauna, and a heart-shaped lake, to lush green forests. This soul healing place is the highest peak in the Wayanad district.
- All you need to do is take permission from the forest department if you plan to go on a trek. If walking through the emerald tea plantations on the trekking trail and witnessing the amazing Wayanad view points sounds good, visit the Chembra Peak, one of the hidden places in Wayanad.
- The heart-shaped lake is a major tourist attraction.
2. Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary
- In Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary you may spot Asian Elephants, tigers, jungle cats, leopards, Gaur, species of vulture, Sloth bear, sambhar deer, and many more wild animals living at peace.
- The jungles are located in the southern trenches of the Western Ghats. The dense valleys and the rough hilly terrains will give you that wild and thrilling touch.
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the top tourist attractions in Wayanad for travel enthusiasts. You can also get a hold of the pure Wild Gold Honey from the sanctuary.
3. Pookode Lake
- The sound of the pristine water flowing in the delightful Pookode Lake will heal you from within. The natural freshwater lake is one of the most popular sightseeing places in Wayanad for family vacation.
- The lake is surrounded by enchanted dense green forests, the pleasant weather gives this place a refreshing vibe.
- Things to do in Pookode lake include boating, spice collection, handicraft shopping, and a visit to the Children Park.
Timings of Pookode Lake- 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Best Time to Visit Pookode Lake– August to May
4. Meenmutty Waterfalls
- If you love waterfalls, Meenmutty Waterfalls is a delightful view amidst nature and you are going to love it. The height of the waterfall is 1000ft.
- The water crashing through the Meenmutty Waterfalls makes the entire rainforests bloom with joy. In order to reach the waterfall, you have to indulge in a 2km trek.
- There are three separate viewpoints to get a memorable glimpse of the cascading falls which flows on three separate levels. No doubt it secures its place in the Wayanad tourism place list as it offers the best Wayanad view point.
5. Ghat View Point
- The Ghat View Point is listed among the best Wayanad view points. It is located at the highest location in Wayanad. The panoramic view of the entire valley and of the green landscape from the view point is breathtaking.
- The Ghat view point of Wayanad is located at an elevation of 700 m above sea level. If you can witness the sunset and sunrise from the Ghat view point of Wayanad it will take your soul away. Ghat View Point is a must visit place if you are planning to visit Wayanad.
Another interesting read: Top 20 Cheapest Places To Visit In India – Budget Travel 2022
6. Kuruva Island
- A protected river delta in the middle of the Kabini River, Kuruva Island is one of the best places to visit in Wayanad. Flourishing with exotic flora and fauna this place will rejuvenate your mind and body.
- On this charming island, you will find beautiful bamboo bridges, rare species of birds, orchids, and herbal plants. You can go on nature walks for a delightful experience.
- What makes Kuruva Island the best Wayanad places to visit? The boat ride and bamboo rafting by Kerala Tourism Department. You will get an experience of a lifetime.
Timing of Kuruva Island- 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Best Time to Visit Kuruva Island – October to May
7. Edakkal Cave
- The center of attraction of the Edakkal caves is the two natural rock formations in the cave. It is believed that a split in a huge rock has led to the formation of the two rocks.
- The ancient carvings and some depictions in the rocks are more than 7000 years old. According to some research, the mysterious carvings head back to the Neolithic and Mesolithic Ages and are linked with the Indus Valley Civilization.
- You have to trek from Ambukuthi Hills to reach the Edakkal caves. It is indeed one of the top places to visit in Wayanad.
- There are also some mythological stories related to this place.
8. Bathery Jain Temple
- Another popular tourist spot to visit in Wayanad is Bathery Jain Temple which dates back to the 13th century. It belongs to the Vijayanagar dynasty this beautiful architectural marvel is located in the hills of Sulthan Bathery.
- It used to be an administrative hub and is a Jain pilgrimage site. This temple with a royal past is the best tourist spot to get some divine blessings. There is a granite idol of God Mahavir inside the temple.
- The stone slab roofs, and carved pillars, give a visual delight to the tourists.
9. Wayanad Heritage Museum
- If you like history then Wayanad Heritage Museum is a must visit place in Wayanad for you. It is located at a distance of 12km from Sulthan Bathery.
- The things you will find in Wayanad Heritage Museum are various ancient relics unearthed from various places like Sultan Bathery, Ambalavayal, and the forests of Wayanad.
- You will find stone carvings, weapons, pottery of the megalithic age, clay sculptures, idols of hard and soft rocks, and tribal artifacts dating back from the Neolithic age to the 12th, 16th, and 17th centuries. This museum will provide you with vast knowledge about the times of the bygone era.
- The most popular tourist destinations in Wayanad and the most popular Wayanad visiting places is Lakkidi. The green paradise is surrounded by hills, gorges, deep valleys, streams, and ficus trees on the roadsides.
- Lakkidi is also the perfect spot for luxury travelers as you can find beautiful properties and expensive resorts for tourists here. You can reach Lakkidi from Adivaram by crossing a long Ghat road.
We hope you found this information about the 10 Best Tourist Places Wayanad Has To Offer. While planning a trip to Wayanad you can pick the place that best suits you from the list of tourist places in Wayanad.